Followers

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Starting a blog for those that are interested in my journey through this Thymoma thing.  The quote I put on my 'introduction' makes me roll my eyes because my Thymoma has not only spread to the lining around my right lung but also to my bones.  But I laugh anytime I see the word 'rare' associated with some disease or syndrome or something I've been diagnosed with. Yes I am one of those Rare ones.  :)


I learned Thursday that the tumor in my L3 vertrebre has grown.  Chemotherapy treatments worked on the tumors in my chest.  That big one around my superior vena cava and my carotid artery. You know the one pressing on my heart and on my trachea and making it difficult to swallow? That one has shrunk.   The one in my lower back in the bone that is causing pain-pain-pain has not.  It’s difficult to stand for longer than a few moments.  Walking is not as bad and I can actually walk down a hallway or from the parking lot to a store’s entrance.  Then I grab a scooter with a big basket provided by the store and drive myself around.  Have you noticed those?  I never did until now when I need one.  Seems like all the grocery stores have one or more around – nice perk!


I also learned that I was very low on the red blood cells AGAIN. It may be the aggressiveness of this tumor that is causing my bone marrow not to regenerate the red blood cells I need.  I was having some symptoms and the lab test showed I was critically low in red blood cells again Thursday.  Well how frustrating is that? Ugh! It has only been two weeks since the previous transfusion of whole red blood.  Uh-oh,  is this going to be a bi-weekly thing?  For how long? 

Another cause of the anemia may be a thing called Pure Red Cell Aplasia.  It is associated with Thymomas and is thought to be an autoimmune disorder.  So Dr Sharman is doing some more tests on my blood and I go back to see him next week to see if we have a cause for the anemia.

Friday I went to see Dr Mones for the first time.  He is a primary care doctor but he also specializes in Palliative/Hospice care.  He’s a pretty young guy, or at least he looks young, and we spent more than two hours talking and making a plan for my pain control!  So I am set up with a nerve pain medication now.  Both doctors think my pain is from the tumor pressing on a nerve.  Also,  Dr Mones has me taking steroids for the inflammation around that nerve and last but not least Methadone for pain!  We’re adding that slowly and I don’t start the Methadone until Monday.  But already I’m feeling better because there is a plan and someone to walk me through this pain control thing. I also learned from Dr Mones that the tumor has not just grown, it's doubled in size.  

Palliative care doesn’t mean you’re automatically on Hospice care.  Palliative care is also for people who are still getting treatment for their disease. Like chemotherapy or Blood Infusions.  Dr Sharman has me seeing a Radiation Oncologist next to see if they think its possible to use more radiation on the tumor.   I guess it’s a fine balance between damaging the tumor and damaging my spine.  Radiation could also help with pain control and could be just one or two sessions.  Oh boy,  I was so sick during radiation I’m not sure that is a route I want to take again.  Talking myself into it – just one or two times would be okay, just one or two times would be okay.  Just pre-medicate heavily in advance…

Well this is probably enough for my first post!  I want to let you know I am open to any and all questions so if you have any please don't be shy about asking. Oh, and suggestions about how to do this blogging thing.  I appreciate the support from my friends and family Very Much.







6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the BLOG. You are an inspiration to me. Please know that you are in our prayers. Cousin Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks Frank,it is nice to think that I can be inspiring to other people. Really, I have meltdowns sometimes and don't feel much like anything near that. Thankfully, it doesen't take long to move out of that mode and realize what an amazing world we live in these days.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the explanation. Uncle Charles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Uncle Charles for taking the time to read it. I think I will be updating here quite a bit, a least at first, I have a lot to say and the steroids tend to make me very talkative!

      Delete
  3. Hey Linda, found your blog! Loved our picture from the Jammer Reunion in 2002,as I said the other night I have that same photo framed in the "aspen" frame you gave me for Christmas ( I think)that same year- it looks great. ;) That was such a cool experience (literally!)- remember how the power went out in the lodge and we gathered around the fire to visit? and our trip to that Mexican restaurant for dinner that night- it snowed so much while we were at dinner that the car was practically buried in about an hour ( and we got served cold sandwiches at the restaurant because the power went out while we were driving over). Another clear memory of that trip is of the Montana Marimba band playing in the lobby while the snow was falling thick and fast outside.....and of how sunny and beautiful it was when we arrived the day before, with all the shiny new red buses lined up on the lawn. Only in Glacier, huh? The furthest I've ever walked in a single day was with you and Bill Schuler the summer of 1981- from Logan Pass on the Highline trail, then over Swiftcurrent Pass to Many Glacier Hotel. 19 miles!!!We slept up in the attic of the Hotel with a bunch of the other Jammers that night before catching a ride back to Lake McD the following day. Fun times. Talk to you soon.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mary! What a nice response. Thank you so much for bringing up those other memories! Now I know you have done a lot more hikes in Glacier over the years. Seems like that attic at Many had bats in it too. Or was it just crowded with a bunch of us on the floor? Ah how nice to be young and sleep on the floor at night and get up early to hike (never my best event) the next morning. Well I guess age doesn't really have that much to do with it. But you know what I mean. Ha! and the colorful Marimba band against the white backdrop of snow! I didn't remember the mexican restaruant thanks for jogging that! It was a great weekend.

      Delete