Followers

Monday, May 14, 2012

After the surgery



It’s been a week since my back procedure and about time to write about it!  I still like to think of it as a “procedure” and not surgery!  My sister, Stevie, has been here taking care of me since I was released from the hospital just the next day (Tuesday).  The first few days I think I was still under the influence of some of the anesthesia, and I did not feel real bad, however later I did find myself upping my pain medication more. But don’t worry!  I had permission in my release instructions from the hospital to do that.  Now I’m just back to trying not to give myself a hard time about there still being pain.  This next information in quotes makes me feel better and was at the top of the Post-Operative Instructions I received:


“Your nerve was under pressure before surgery. Even though pressure has been removed the nerve can remain irritated for a period of time which varies with each person. You may notice a change in your initial symptoms or changes in sensation.  Do not be alarmed, because given enough time the nerve will generally recover, pain decreases and sensation improves.”


If we go by the pain, my nerve was under pressure for months and months, so with this I can see why it would take awhile for the pain to decrease. I am still about the same as prior to the procedure and can get up and down from sitting, walk very short distances, and sit on my walker for a little while rolling around the kitchen.   Still find myself lying on my right side instead of flat on my back though so I intend to start working on that.  Is it laying or lying?


Looked it up, okay I lay myself down on the bed and lie there on my right side.  I think that's right. 
  









No comments:

Post a Comment